The CIMFAV (Centre for Research and Modeling of Random Phenomena – Valparaíso) was created in 2004 as a project of research and development depending on UV’s Provost’s Office of Research. In 2012 and already consolidated, CIMFAV becomes a unit of the newly created Faculty of Engineering of the University of Valparaíso. It is currently composed of 12 academics with a strong component in undergraduate and postgraduate teaching, and research with emphasis on applied mathematics.
From the outcome of the roll of a dice, to forecasting tomorrow’s weather, randomness is ubiquitous. It appears as much in the natural phenomena studied in physic, chemistry, and biology, as in human activities (industry, economics, sociology, etc.) Randomness emerges from the high dynamical and informational complexity of underlying systems. Its study requires not only deterministic laws, but the broader set of stochastic laws, which allow us to represent uncertainty in the knowledge of all the actors and parameters involved. The modeling and analysis of random phenomena draws upon multiple disciplines of mathematics such as probability, statistics, combinatorics, dynamical systems, and numerical methods. These areas are the domain of expertise of the CIMFAV. More precisely, our research lines include:
- Stochastic analysis
- Dynamical systems
- Statistical inference
- Nonparametric methods
- Mixed effects models
- Discrete Mathematics
The field of applications of the methods and tools which we develop to study random phenomena are very large. Consequently the CIMFAV investigates applications in fields as diverse as:
- Pharmacological dynamics
- Statistical Physics
- Fluids mechanics
- Renewable energies
- Quantitative finance
- Network and Teaching
The CIMFAV interacts with national and international institutions through scientific collaborations and the implementation of common projects. At the national level, the principal universities with which we collaborate are : UTFSM, PUCV, UCHILE, PUC y UDEC. At the international level, we collaborate with scientists from Brazil, Uruguay, Argentina, Venezuela, Colombia, Mexico, Cuba, the USA, France, Spain, Germany, Czech Republic, among others.
Currently, our group teaches in the Colleges of Oceanic Engineering, Construction Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, Civil Engineering, and Computer Science and Engineering. Also we teach in Statistic Enginner at IDEUV, Licentiate and Master degree in Mathematics at IMUV.
- To produce high quality research, both theoretical and applied.
- To participate and interact with the Colleges of the Faculty of Engineering.
- To create a strong interaction with research centers at the University of Valparaiso and other national and international universities.
- To enhance teaching in the Faculty of Engineering at the undergraduate and graduate levels.
- To train professionals and senior academics in stochastic modeling and application of statistical methodology.
- To partner with industry via research and development projects, through tax incentive law for private investment (CIMFAV CID 04/03 accredited by CORFO).